[Openstreetmap] New roads appearing without GPS tracks

Graham Wall g.hamwall at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 09:52:20 GMT 2005

I am pleased to see that the status table in the wiki has spurred
progress with the motorways. Last night a large section of the M4
through Newport and Cardiff was filled in, both carriageways, with
junctions.

There appear to be very few GPS data points along certain sections and
junctions and was wondering if these have been deleted immediately
after the section was completed, as I myself  have done in the past.
Take a look at this section near Cardiff:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit.html?lat=51.5858362492251&lon=-3.035205&zoom=15

Recently I have taken to leaving all my data points on the server, for
future reference, but also as a means of accountability. It shows not
only that the roads have a non-copyrighted source, but also gives
confidence; if someone else edits the same section of road, they will
have a reference to why I put it there in the first place.

Another possibility is that the data were entered using an offline
editor. This again raises the questions of accountability and
confidence. If the source data are not on the central server, proving
data were not copied from copyrighted maps becomes more difficult.

Graham