Landsat ? (was:Re: [Openstreetmap] New roads appearing without GPS tracks)

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 16 12:25:18 GMT 2005

 From: Tom Carden <tom at tom-carden.co.uk>

 The vast majority of OSM data so far has been entered with the
 assistance/sanity check that landsat offers us.  We'd have to junk the
 lot if there was ever a successful challenge on derived landsat data,
 but I don't think there ever will be.

 Landsat 7 is in the public domain. There is no restriction on derived works.

 However I would be cautious, when relying on Landsat for drawing vectors. Only usable as a very rough sanity check (ie, generally in the right part of the world). Until there are other imagery sources integrated, GPS traces are the primary vehicle for deriving vectors. Don't think there's any disagreement on this, just want to make the point.

 There are serious rectification errors in the JPL Landsat data. For instance, the shoreline here in Brighton is off by 20-30m.
 Some discussion on this in the following WorldWind thread (post #8)
   http://forum.worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/index.php?showtopic=1512

 -Mikel