[Openstreetmap] Re: Naming segments using applet

Kendall Sears krsears at starband.net
Fri Dec 16 16:18:20 GMT 2005

Hey folks,
  This is going to get out-of-hand with the current db schema real
quick.  The current schema is highly road/street paradigm dependant.

Before people start digitizing features other than roads/streets it
would be advisable to move to a true GIS schema.  Either enable the GIS
extensions to MySQL or switch to PostGIS before too much occurs or there
will be a real mess.  "Tags" alone just won't cut it, please believe me.
There are too many associated attributes for multi-feature GIS data to
handle in this fashion.

I've been a professional GIS technology consultant for over 8 years and
have run into MANY instances exactly like this.  The resulting work to
fix the problems was more than a little outrageous.

Kendall
--

Kendall Sears <krsears at starband.net>