[Openstreetmap] Re: Naming segments using applet

Erik Johansson erjohan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 00:34:30 GMT 2005

On 12/19/05, Kendall Sears <krsears at starband.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-12-18 at 02:13 +0000, SteveC wrote:
> > Firstly, people telling me to use GIS OGC
> > standards are 10 a penny. People willing to touch it with a barge pole
> > and actually work on it are absent.
>
> That so many advocate the same solution should be an indication of its
> possible validity.

[...]
> I'd be willing to bet that a good
> portion of those that made the suggestion just decided to move on to do
> something else that didn't require so much persuasion.

That's a common problem to all projects, OSS or not, and we wont solve
it here. You will always have different personalities and points of
views, the only way to do something about it is to produce working
counter examples and not even then will it work out.  EOD "I know how
this discussion will end". See google "lucid emacs"

What I want, and need, from this project is a map of the streets in
Sweden.  I think OSM will need to make a decission on what data to
include. Right now the only data that needs to come into the database
is GPX points, segments and streets.

But can you give simple solutions to our technical obstacles in the
near future? E.g. how is versioning defined in OGC standards, how can
I use these standards to get versioning of:
1. streets (and the vectors that streets are compose of)
2. tags on streets
3. Can I define a "street"?

And then let a map server render these different versions by using an
url and doing: &date=$SOMEDATE

For the record the vector editing tools of QGIS are not really top
notch, and it's hellish to set tags effectivly.

--
/Erik who is totaly clueless in GIS schemas..