[Openstreetmap] Server Performance

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Tue Dec 20 03:47:02 GMT 2005

* @ 19/12/05 11:05:41 PM openstreetmap-L at gj0.net wrote:
> I just added a whole lot of segments for a complex motorway interchange
> using the java applet.  This required a lot of painstaking and detailed
> work.  I then panned the view area and was dismayed to find that not only

I would be more than dismayed.

I've synced the code used to generate the dev server with the live
machine. I've added a bunch of code to do logging server side, and the
applet will remove a segment if it didn't get created instead of just
leaving it there so you can tell if it was successful or what.

Hopefully logging will show up what is going wrong, because I havn't
been able to reproduce it. What time (GMT) should I try to see when it's
slow? Please mail me your problems, including java console output. I
*am* looking at it.

> What is it that is making the server slow anyway?  I've never seen more than
> about 4 people editing at any one time, and I'm sure there can't be than
> many people viewing the maps yet.  Is there some batch process that kicks in
> to rebuild tiles or something?

No, that's on the tile server. It might be something on the database
server... or a backup script. Anything to figure out the timing of these
problems is helpful.

> This problem really needs addressing as an absolute priority.  The most

It is being dealt with, I know it sucks, I will fix it as soon as I
figure out what's going on.

* @ 19/12/05 11:56:59 PM uucp1 at yahoo.com wrote:

>  I had a similar painful experience, and IMHO the main
> problem
>  is the download of tiles into the applet, which can't
> be
>  switched off.
>  The http://brainoff.com/osm/change is so much
>  better, because of the direct tile download.
>  Unfortunately there is
>  no comparable 'applet' functionality in the osmeditor
> :(

It is something that's also a high priority...

have fun,