[Openstreetmap] Re: JOSM release candidate

Immanuel Scholz immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Wed Dec 28 09:58:00 GMT 2005

Hi,

> Do you test this java program with one of the free java
> implementations?

No, but I know for sure, that it wont work. ;-(

JOSM needs a Java5 (jre1.5) compatible runtime environment and quite a
good set of Swing as well. Currently only Sun provide an implementation
for this requirements.

I am aware of this issue but decided to continue development JOSM on this
platform, hoping that the free implementations will catch up quick enough
to make it runnable in the soon future.

A bit of "how to read an java stack trace"

>   Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: java.lang.Enum not found in
> java.lang.ClassLoader$1{urls=[file:/home/pere/src/debian/java/josm-rc1.jar],
> parent=null}
>      at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass (URLClassLoader.java:870)
>      at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass (ClassLoader.java:342)
>      at java.lang.ClassLoader$1.loadClass (ClassLoader.java:1110)
>      at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass (ClassLoader.java:294)
>      at java.lang.VMClassLoader.defineClass (Native Method)
>      ...12 more

Usually the most bottom exception of the first chain (a chain is when
there is "Caused by:" written on top of the next exception) is where the
problems are.

This says you, that a class called java.lang.Enum is missing. Enum is a
fundamental class of Java (as all within java.lang), first present in
Java5.

>   Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: java.lang.StringBuilder not

yea.. gcj usually mourns about java.lang.StringBuilder, which is a fast
replacement for the (synchronized but slow) java.lang.StringBuffer in
pre-Java5-libraries. Here again, if something in java.lang is missing, it
is almost anytime the problem that the classpath-implementation does not
support it yet.

Ciao, Imi.