[Openstreetmap] Complimentary project - Freemap

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Sun Feb 20 16:47:46 GMT 2005

On Sun, Feb 20, 2005 at 09:16:24AM +0000, Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> > will you export WFS/shapefiles...

> Not sure exactly what these are, are they an alternative to GPX?

Web Feature Service is the OGC[0] standard for sharing vector
information over the web, in GML, their xml geographic markup
language. as nasty as GML is, WFS is probaly the most viable standrad
for web-basedd feature exchange. Mapserver can be a WFS server and
client... geoserver.sf.net is a very good standalone one, a java
servlet business which you drop over your ArcInfo, or PostGIS, etc. it
doesnt ship with a MySQL backend but i think a custom one has been
written... Shapefiles(TM) are ESRI's vector exchange format... grubby
but easy to add metadata to, and lots of people know what to do with
them and the spec is open. gpx2shp has come up here...

> Yes, I intend to do so very soon, basically it would be a case of hitting
> "Export to GPX" on the website and generating a GPX file of all data in the
> currently-displayed area.

nice nice!

-jo

[0] http://www.opengis.org/ , an industry standards consortium...