[Openstreetmap] Satellite cost/benefit

Mon Feb 21 20:12:47 GMT 2005

On 19 Feb 2005, at 16:07, Jo Walsh wrote:

> i still love the New Popular Edition idea and reckon that, at least we
> could be able to offer it as a base layer, with a WMS interface. a
> cinch with mapserver if they are / we can get them georeferenced.
> (i suppose they all have OS grid lines, and we know the likely
> projection... Richard, how is it looking since
> http://www.systemed.net/blog/entry041216225441.html )
> then hosting/bandwidth is maybe at UCL, or...?

Sorry, been busy at work & so on (doing mapping stuff with Flash, so no
great hardship!). Yes, they do all have OS grid lines.

I'd be delighted to give openstreetmappers, geowankers and allied
trades the chance to do something with the New Popular Edition mapping.
If this means putting it on an FTP site, no problem - alternatively,
I'm happy to post a copy on CD or DVD to anyone on the list, given a
small donation just for the cost of media and postage. Jo, should I
post you one as a starter?

The one thing I'd like to keep a handle on, in an evil proprietary-type
way, is the redistribution of the complete set of scans. This is
largely because it's cost a (modest) four-figure sum to get the scans
together, and I'd like to have a chance at getting that back by selling
cheap CDs to family historians and the like. But I do get very cross
when people try to prevent the creation of derived works from
facsimiles of historical mapping, so wouldn't want any further
restrictions.

(I'm sure somewhere there's a CC licence that sums that up perfectly...)

cheers
Richard