[Openstreetmap] Best way to licence data - CC or MIT/X11?

Nick Whitelegg nick at hogweed.org
Mon Feb 21 22:01:27 GMT 2005

On Monday 21 Feb 2005 19:48, you wrote:
> * On 21-Feb-2005 at 10:22AM PST, Nick Whitelegg said:
> > How does openstreetmap intend to licence its data? For my Freemap
> > project, I was originally intending to licence the data (e.g. in XML
> > form) using the Creative Commons licences but someone on the
> > uk.comp.os.linux newsgroup pointed out that it would make the data
> > incompatible with the GPL, and thus it would be impossible to include the
> > data with a GPL application which made use of it.
>
> How so?
>
> SDE

It's not included on the FSF list of compatible licences, and (you'd need to
track the actual thread on uk.comp.os.linux, it was called "Freemap - free
mapping for the UK" or somesuch) some guy there thought it wouldn't be. To be
honest the two do seem compatible to me though, as they are both copyleft
Free licences.

But dual licencing CC (for most use) or GPL (for incorporation with GPL apps
if this is not allowed) seems an ok way to go.

Nick