[Openstreetmap] Which CC Licence for Data-Sets?

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Tue Feb 22 14:57:19 GMT 2005

hello,

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 04:17:53AM -0800, Schuyler Erle wrote:
> > fill most of the map space.  I guess this would only be a problem if
> > all contributors would need to be attributed when making derived work.
> > Is this a problem with CC Attribution-ShareAlike or CC-ShareAlike?
> the data, or (b) the attribution can simply be to the project with a
> link to the website. Either or both would satisfy me.

i have two takes on why this is particularly problematic for us.

- imposing hard constraints on re-use may restrict propagation

i don't want small businesses or nonprofits, who are good targets for
open geodata, to feel unable to use any of our work because ShareAlike
is noncompatible with data that has commercial value to them.
nor would i wish to lose potential contributors here because CC Attribution
is not strong enough to justify contributing hard work to a data pool.

- "derived work" is a very hard call for geodata.

I use a free map base layer via a web service and plot my features
over the top. Is that a derived work? I publish my corrections +
additions as a separate WFS layer or shape. Is that a derived work?

IANAL, a "map" is a literary work under the Berne convention, it is
not a collection of facts, but "thematic" data like addresses or
address ranges may be facts.

People here have connections to CC UK, who we could benefically ask for
advice / best practise on the subject of open database copyright...

-jo