[Openstreetmap] Feature extraction, GPS, GPS pool

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Thu Feb 24 14:21:41 GMT 2005

Hello All,
I haven't been tracking everything on this list, but am very interested in
this concept.  The "tools" side is interesting, but I'm really enamoured by
the GPS side of things.  I would like to mirror the concept in Canada.  Sure
we have a bit larger land-base :)  but the same data access problems.  I
would start at a municipal level.  Having a pool of hardware available would
be very interesting.  I wonder if it would even be possible to combine the
effort with a Geocaching.com promotion too.  Folks could use the devices for
finding a geocache, but also collect other features along the way.

Is the image feature extraction the big problem area?  At least using GPS you
could gather ground-truth sample points to help train the analysis.

Anyway, just thought I'd weigh in and say howdy.

Tyler