[Openstreetmap] How to do gps data logging?

Frank Mohr f_mohr at yahoo.de
Sat Jan 15 18:22:26 GMT 2005

Hi

Zebedee Mason wrote:

> Am looking at buying a GPS with barometric altimeter for putting on the
> handlebars of my bicycle to record my rides and subsequently calculate
> the gradients. Say a maximum speed of 50km/h = 14 m/s and a resolution
> of 10m, then I want to be sampling about once a second. Over an 8 hour
> bike ride that comes to about 30,000 sample points.
>
> If I read things correctly then an eTrex Vista is supposed to do about
> 10,000 sample points per tracklog but comes with quite a hefty price tag
> (in the UK). Anything lower down the range will have me stopping
> periodically to save the tracklog into internal memory and start a new
> one, with which I'm sure I would get quickly bored. Riding over the same
> stretch multiple times with a lower sampling rate doesn't sound like
> much fun either.
>
> A further constraint is that I don't own any form of portable computer
> and don't intend to cycle around with one. Given this I would be
> grateful if anyone can tell if am I correct in my analysis of Garmin,
> have I missed anything out and are there any better options?

I'm using a Geko 301. It also stores 10000 Trackpoints.

Just to estimate the storage needs:
I have a track from the beginning of this year
(5 hrs Bus and walking city tour in Rotterdam/Delft/Den
Haag/Scheveningse,
Bus/Highway back to Rotterdam, next day about 4 hr Bus/Highway Rotterdam
back
to Cologne, some driving around in Cologne in my car to find a hotel).
This whole track has only 2962 Trackpoints.

The settings on the device were:
- GPS mode: WAAS
- track record interval: auto
- track resolution: high