[Openstreetmap] data explosion

SteveC steve at fractalus.com
Tue Jul 5 16:20:45 BST 2005

Hello everyone,

With much thanks to Saul we now have an arrangement to get lots of gps
tracks from ecourier. I successfully imported last weeks track of
300,000 points in and around london and its up for viewing.

These links show their data overlapping with tracks we've made:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/tmp/screen.jpg
http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit/applet.jsp?lat=51.52378&lon=-0.16888845&scale=23411.062

We can expect and additional similar number of points every week. In
central london this makes tracks quite dense, we may need to review how
they are displayed (eg as lines instead). Tom?

The script to turn their data in to gpx's is my first ruby script and is
in subversion. Its beta, please comment and / or change. I expect we
might re-import things if the script improves. When the other rubyists
here are happy, we can automate the weekly import of data.

For those interested, there are nearly 7 million points now in the
database. If anyone feels like doing some hacking, we have lots of
things TODO, please get in contact on the openstreetmap-dev list.

have fun,

SteveC steve at fractalus.com http://www.fractalus.com/steve/