[Openstreetmap] To the debianistas

SteveC steve at fractalus.com
Wed Jul 6 08:28:10 BST 2005

I have this old laptop which has some scripts to make it record GPS
traces. It consists of

hardware

* old laptop, long battery life but just one usb slot
* usb wifi stick, prism chipset which is AFAIK linux supported
* gpsd supportable usb gps

software

* matts SiRF chipset talking driver that writes gpx files
* a watchdog timer in the s/w that makes it die if the gps disappears
* a bash script with a infinite while loop to call the s/w
* the bash script is called from /etc/init.d

The idea here is that the laptop is completely automatic so I can give
it to anyone with very simple instructions. They give it back to me and
I manually grab the (badly formed) gpx files and upload them. It should
be resilient to having the gps / wifi unplugged, or being turned off
etc.  It should JustWork.

What I would like now is a debian package that does this for me, and
emails the gpx files to me. It should take two config options:

* email address
* gps device

It should automatically record gpx files and then mail them whenever the
gps goes away or perhaps if they get too big. Then when I plug the wifi
stick in, it searches for free wifi networks, tests them, brings up
exim4 (debians default MTA) and mails them to me but keeping a copy.
Maybe I give it 'approved' essid and WEP keys of my network and ones at
work etc... perhaps this can be built in to /etc/network/interfaces ?

And all in a debian package. Petter? Other Debian people? Having not
made a deb or have huge amounts of experience with gpsd...

have fun,

SteveC steve at fractalus.com http://www.fractalus.com/steve/