[Openstreetmap] data explosion

SteveC steve at fractalus.com
Wed Jul 6 09:29:21 BST 2005

* @ 06/07/05 01:18:13 AM lars at aronsson.se wrote:
> SteveC wrote:
> > With much thanks to Saul we now have an arrangement to get lots of gps
> > tracks from ecourier. I successfully imported last weeks track of
> > 300,000 points in and around london and its up for viewing.
>
> That's great news!  Will the source data files be available for
> download?  Can they be used outside of OSM?

Yes, downloading gpx's is a planned feature.

> > These links show their data overlapping with tracks we've made:
> > http://www.openstreetmap.org/tmp/screen.jpg
>
> Note how sparse the data are.  Just one or two dots per block.
> Seems they are using less than one-sample-per-second.  Just

They are once a second. Believe it or not, the screenie includes part of
a motorway (I think I can call the A/M4 Westway that).

> looking at the dots (and not the straight lines between adjacent
> dots), it will be very hard to determine where the roads are. This

It isn't hard to determine if you know the place! :-)

> How many hours of driving have we recorded?

I don't know. You could extract things via xmlrpc and find out, or wait
until I do some kind of database dump.

have fun,

SteveC steve at fractalus.com http://www.fractalus.com/steve/