[Openstreetmap] Re: Goole Earth and the free software equivalent - Earth 3D

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Sun Jul 10 18:40:06 BST 2005

Quoting openstreetmap-request at vr.ucl.ac.uk:

> I guess some of you have seen Google Earth,
> <URL:http://earth.google.com/>.  But did you see the free software
> "equivalen", Earth 3D, <URL:http://earth3d.org/>?  It need more data,
> but the software to handle it is already in place.

There's also worldwind: http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/
It's open source, though unfortunately written in .NET, not the most
open source friendly language.  There seems to be a pretty decent
community around it though, for awhile they had much better global
coverage than google earth, but am not sure if that's still the case.
The thing I really like about it is that it supports WMS, an open
standard for overlaying mapping data, instead of reinventing the wheel
with KML.

Chris