[Openstreetmap] Re: new static renderer, and other bits

Schuyler Erle schuyler at nocat.net
Thu Jul 14 02:48:10 BST 2005

* On 13-Jul-2005 at  2:28PM PDT, SteveC said:

> I'm very sorry, its something I failed to mention in my original email.
> A few of us have looked at the OpenMap notion of 'scale'. As I showed in
> my original email, its this random quantity based on pixels per meter
> from a Sun Microsystems monitor from 10 years ago. If someone figures
> out a relation between that and something sensible we can convert the
> links.

Actually, this runs all through digital cartography, it's not just a
ten year old Sun monitor thing. Basically I think the assumption is 72
dpi all through -- so divide the width in pixels of your map by 72
pixels per inch and you got inches wide. Convert that to meters and
then divide by the horizontal coverage in meters of the map. Invert
and you have scale, I think. We can double check this against the
MapServer source, where I first ran into this.

> Another thing I forgot is that I've drunk the mod_rewrite kool aid and
> am putting things in URLs that (hopefully) will not change from now one,
> whatever happens. For example the new static renderer is located at
> /map/map.png.

w00t!

SDE