[Openstreetmap] Re: landsat background to the static renderer

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Fri Jul 15 12:31:14 BST 2005

>Very nice.  It works for me on Opera, and I keep Javascript turned
>off. :)

>What about the java applet, and the elevation lines from osm-editor?
>Anyone working on integrating it there?

Well, Freemap displays contour lines. Originally they were generated on the
fly with PHP, but this was a little slow where there are a lot of contours
on the map. Now I pre-generate contour tiles from the NASA data and display
the appropriate one depending on the current location. The contour code
used in the pre-generation program is the same as that used in osm-editor
(C++ based). If contours were to be added to the OpenStreetMap interface,
that would probably be the way to go.

Nick