[Openstreetmap] What I'm working on

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Fri Jul 15 13:04:17 BST 2005

> 2. Looking at the possibility of an "AJAX" (look on Google) and SVG
> rich-client based mapping interface, again initially for Freemap but with
> possible application to OpenStreetMap as a whole.

http://maps.civicactions.net/ is an opensource implementation that just
needs your server to be able to supply images given a lat/lon bounding box
and a width and height.  It's careful with the precision so you can
implement caching (lots of info on the page...).  You might also want to
look at ka-map for a similar implementation.

A note on SVG - after some experimenting with vector graphics of maps I
imagine you'd still want to cache some data as images anyway for
performance, and this may as well be done on the server.

Tom.