[Openstreetmap] What I'm working on

Schuyler Erle schuyler at nocat.net
Fri Jul 15 19:19:08 BST 2005

> >wouldn't it be easier (and a more general approach) to export
> >to shapefiles
> >as i read the cGPSmapper description, it also imports shapefiles
>
> Maybe but: a) Polish format is the "lingua franca" of cGPSmapper and b)
> that would require more research and I've already got quite a few things on
> the go right now :-) (see other thread)

Not that I can claim to have the time myself, but ESRI Shapefiles are
the lingua franca of, er, every other GIS applications out there, and
having read the spec, I can assure you that they're *simple*, possibly
every bit as a simple as Polish format. You can get the PDF of the
spec directly from ESRI (it's short) and you can use Frank Warmerdam's
excellent shapelib library to write them. Trust me, it's simple. :-)

SDE