[Openstreetmap] Re: [Openstreetmap-dev] openstreetmap roadmap?

Frank Mohr f_mohr at yahoo.de
Mon Jul 25 23:17:35 BST 2005

Ehud Shabtai wrote:
> I don't expect to find a perfect solution. It should produce good
> results and allow users to correct incorrect merges through an applet.
>
> As I plan to write this utility would you care to discuss the approaches
> you tried for doing the merges?
>
> Ehud.

the general approach was to use vectors from the points in one track
to track segments in the other track and to use the center of the
connecting line (or a weighted distance) to get the new points

my first approach was just to connect each point in on track with the
next point in the other track ...
no chance to get the resultng points in sequence - at least no easy way

another idea was to calculate a vector from each point, that hits a
track segment of the other track at right angle
(start condition was to use the closest track segment / point distance
and then iterate only over connected track segments)
i didn't find a solution if the algorithm can't find a matching
track segment

my last idea was to use the half angle between two track segments to
get the vector and just find a segment on the other track thats cut
by this vector, but i didn't find the time to implement that yet.
(at least i didn't find problems with this approach on paper)

frank