[Openstreetmap] OpenStreetMap/Freemap and mobile devices?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Wed Jun 1 19:02:40 BST 2005

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 06:37:33PM +0100, Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> Doubtless there are many practical problems with battery life, etc, but it
> would certainly be something worth investigating. I also gather that most
> mobile devices cannot connect arbitrarily to the internet through
> user-written software, for security reasons. So (correct me if I'm wrong) it
> would only be possible to do this sort of development under the Linux/Qtopia
> environment at the moment and not under Symbian or Palm environments.

The Symbian Series 60 platform has a Python executable that you can
download which works in exactly the same way to Python on a computer,
and does not have sandboxing. Additionally, typically applications can
make requests to arbitrary addresses, after asking permission expressly
from the user.

General Psuedo Code:

Load Application Module
Load URL Access Module

Fetch Location (User input or GPS: it's possible to read from a GPS over
bluetooth on Symbian Series 60 devices)

Open Serverside URI which returns graphic
Save Graphic to phone memory
Open Graphic in phone's default image viewer application

> If this is feasible it's certainly something I would like to get involved in.
> Are there suitable PDAs out there with GPS ability, or could I get a cheap
> pluggable GPS unit and plug it into an arbitrary PDA?

You can typically plug GPS units into Palm and similar devices, and as I
mentioned, there is Python code to do connection over bluetooth between
a phone and a GPS device.

One thing to consider is to build an association between Cell towers
(which you can get from the cell phone) and actual locations. This would
let even those without a GPS get something close geographically to where
they currently are.

Just my limited knowledge on the topoic.

--
Christopher Schmidt