[Openstreetmap] (no subject)

Alex Willmer alex at moreati.org.uk
Tue Jun 7 21:39:48 BST 2005

Anthony Jones wrote:

> Dear All,
> i'm a phd student studying racial exclusion in southampton.  I'm
> particularly interested by the possibility of mapping the spaces of
> exclusion.
>
> Do you think it would be possible to do this in Southampton.  If so,
> how do i get started?

Wow, that's a very open question.

You need data and software to store and query that data. Typically this
means a GIS system which you feed base layer mapping + your own
geospatial data. Your output will (hopefully) be some maps which answer
the questions you asked.

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIS
http://www.gis.com
http://freegis.org

For the base layer data there are a few free sources such as
OpenStreetMap, NASA satellite surveys, Digital Chart of the World (DCW).
These tend to be large scale, so they're unlikely to have the resolution
you will want, unfortunately, it appears OpenStreetMap doesn't yet have
data for Southampton.

If you have the money to spend Ordanance Survey (OS), Teleatlas, NAVTEQ
and several others will be happy to license some data to you. If you are
to be working with address data then the Postcode Address File (PAF) or
OS Address Point are likely to be of interest.

See
http://landcover.org/index.shtml
http://data.geocomm.com/
http://www.maproom.psu.edu/dcw/
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/
http://www.navteq.com/data/data.html
http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/jump2?catId=400082&mediaId=400084
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/products/addresspoint/

Sorry if that's vague, if you have further questions please feel free to
ask them.

Regards

Alex