[Openstreetmap] OpenStreetMap/Freemap and mobile devices?

SteveC steve at fractalus.com
Wed Jun 8 18:24:35 BST 2005

* @ 08/06/05 07:58:15 AM openstreetmap at paulm.com wrote:
> Talking of which, I'm not sure if you've ever seen the contents of an
> XML-RPC packet--it is verbose in the extreme. You absolutely have to be
> using HTTP compression.

Absolutely.

> In our case this required writing client code.

And there is the rub - not many clients do the compression. Which is
dumb. OSM does the server side stuff but the apache jakarta xmlrpc
library doesn't.

I spent some time a while ago trying to shoehorn another similarly
derived library in, which *did* do gzip but it didn't work for some
strange reason I've forgotten.

have fun,

SteveC steve at fractalus.com http://www.fractalus.com/steve/