[Openstreetmap] map walthamstow

Saul Albert saul at twenteenthcentury.com
Thu Jun 16 19:50:26 BST 2005

Hi All,

I saw Tom at dorkbot last night - very exciting to hear about the
re-write, and I'm looking forward to using it!

I spoke to a bloke at dorkbot from the Walthamstow Festival who said he'd
had a shitty experience with the OS, asking them for permission to use
their data to do a map for the 'art trail' they're doing across the whole
of the borough.

He showed me a map of the area he needed covering, and an historical one
(19th C?) that must now be out of copyright, but actually, was still
pretty accurate.

And he gave me a really bad scan of the area to be covered, which I've
made even worse by scanning it again in 8 bit colour:
http://chinabone.lth.bclub.org.uk/albums/mumbai_free_map/walthamstowmap.jpg

He needs a printable map by mid August, and proposed some kind of
interactive one for mid September (when the festival is).

I thought this might be a good excercise for me, and other OSM users who
maybe need some more experience with the interface, and can teach people
how to do it on an ongoing basis.

How about a 'map walthamstow' day in July, where 10 of us (that would
certainly do it) could walk, map, annotate in a day, and then perhaps
generate a nice big pdf for them to use for their art trail in August
using Grass or something (Schuyler did a beauty of the Mumbai Free Map -
using Grass I think...).

Would anyone be up for this? It appeals that Walthamstow would be the
first area of London to have it's own Geodata, and make use of it.
Blitzing (hmm. maybe not the best expression) particular areas of london,
in collaboration with groups in the area seems like the best way to get
this activity settled into people's expectations and activities. If
you're up for it, let me know and we'll sort out a time / date.

Oh, and Jo and I found a lovely disclaimer on a 1792 map in the hallway
of the Institute of Community Studies where were installing a Free
Network node on Tuesday:

http://chinabone.lth.bclub.org.uk/gallery/open_map_disclaimer

"The Public will observe that there are many streets for where the
Numbers are omitted, such as are either without Numbers, or are so very
irregular and frequently changed that they could not with propriety be
inserted. It may be observed that the Numbers in the Strand, Fleet
Street, Holborn be are so irregular, but in those long Streets the
Proprietor thought it necessary to insert them particularly as they are
much less liable to alteration."

Another interesting highlight was the Tower of London, which instead of
detail consistent with the rest of the map, instead is blank, with a little
legend:

"       THE TOWER
  The Internal Parts
  not distinguised being