[Openstreetmap] Back from Linuxtag

Frank Mohr f_mohr at yahoo.de
Sun Jun 26 15:48:54 BST 2005

Hi

I spend the last few days at the Linuxtag

When I asked the Debian people about CC for GIS data,
they send me to Intevation.
When I asked the FSF people about GIS data licences,
they also send me to Intevation.

At the Intevation booth i met Jan-Oliver Wagner.
(from memory)
- We talked about the OSM project (@Jo: he told me that he
  met you some times ago and you already talked about OSM)
- They distribute their data (Frida) under GPL, but are
  looking for a licence that fits better for GIS data.
- We discussed some points that have to be different
  for software and GIS data licences
  one point was "which obligations has someone who
  publishes the data (or a subset) in print"
- He offered to share the Frida data if we agree upon a common licence

Later I met a lawyer from ifrOSS (http://www.ifross.de/)
(Institut für Rechtsfragen der Freien und Open Source Software -
translates to something like
"institute for points of law in free and open source software")
(also from memory)
- he told me about the DPPL "Digital Peer Publishing Lizenz"
  (http://www.dipp.nrw.de/) they created for the The Ministry
  of Science and Research of North Rhine-Westphalia
  He also told me the "Landesvermessungsamt Nordrhein-Westfalen"
  - the land surveying office of North Rhine-Westphalia
  published some date under this licence but i didn't find
  anything yet.
- He recomended to use a commonly known licence like GPL or CC
  even if the licence isn't a special licence for the content,
  as long as it covers the permissions and restrictions we want.

Frank