[Openstreetmap] ecourier.co.uk GPS data mine

SteveC steve at fractalus.com
Wed Jun 29 10:03:41 BST 2005

* @ 28/06/05 02:41:22 PM saul at twenteenthcentury.com wrote:
> Would anyone from the dev team be up for talking to him about how to do
> this? It's going to be a bit of a 'mare, because he's already said

Saul: Cool!

Absolutely, contact details? Ben is away soon, Tom and I have spare
boxes if they want it that way.

* @ 28/06/05 02:56:43 PM tom at tom-carden.co.uk wrote:
> If anyone has contacts with a taxi firm that records similar information,
> this is exactly the kind of information we need - raw points AND metadata.

I've written to three taxi firms without response. Every time I get in
to a cab I talk about OSM and try and get them to take a GPS around but
I don't usually get far explaining it from a F/OSS point of view, or the
mapping POV. So now I talk of OSM as an 'art project' and I get full
understanding.

I spoke to one chap who's a black cabbie and is willing to take around
my GPS for 20 quid/day. Its a bit steep but compared with hiring a car
its good. If this ecourier thing takes off then its redundant.

* @ 29/06/05 08:25:45 AM pere at hungry.com wrote:
> Are we sure the OSM database is able to handle that amount of data?
> It seem to have bigger and bigger problems keeping up.

The stability problems have nothing to do with the amount of data, but
apache2 and tomcat getting upset. I think the fixes in place (as of a
few days ago) should make it ok. I want to write everything in ruby
anyway.

have fun,

SteveC steve at fractalus.com http://www.fractalus.com/steve/