[Openstreetmap] Norwegian maps might be releases for free

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Wed Jun 29 19:58:24 BST 2005

> Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
>
> > This is of course really bad news for OpenStreetmap in Norway, as
> the
> > need for the project might disappear.  And it is great news for the
> > free map comunities in Norway. :)
>
> I wouldn't say it will disappear. I am betting that we'll have faster
> updates...
Yeah, I'd say it gives you a great starting point.  I think in an ideal
world OSM does not have to spend all its time mapping every single
street, can focus on updating what the government releases, and even
start to help governments in maintaining the geodata commons.  In the
US we have everything released, but it is _still_ a huge business for
commercial providers to provide better more up to date information.
And you still get wrong directions:
http://travel2.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/technology/28soff.html?  My hope
is that OSM will be even _more_ accurate than even commercial geo data
providers can get.  We could even get an Open Directions Service, that
allows users to 'correct' what the route finding algorithms come up
with, and to add their own shortcuts and hints on driving and the like,
in addition to being able to 'correct' the streets when they are wrong.

Chris

http://bat.vr.ucl.ac.uk/pipermail/openstreetmap/attachments/20050629/4a8c5bba/attachment.bin