[Openstreetmap] Re: OSM License and debian

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Thu May 26 08:23:51 BST 2005

Lars Aronsson wrote:
> Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
>>
>>Your use of 'viral' here indicate a certain bias.
>>
> No, Petter, there is no bias left in the term.

Though I have an awareness of the issues, I'm not engaged with the Free
software world in any meaningful way (apart from here).  Let me tell
you, to an outsider the term "viral" definitely has negative
implications.  The use of CC or GPL, however, doesn't.

I strongly advise against the use of the term "viral" when attempting to
encourage people to contribute their data to a free project.  It doesn't
sound good, and it's not good marketing (even if that's the origin of
the term).

Tom.