[Openstreetmap] GPS hardware

john levin john at technolalia.org
Sat Nov 5 15:56:39 GMT 2005

Hi

Just joined this list, more out of enthusiasm than experience.

Two questions about hardware, as I'm looking around for a handheld GPS unit:

1: I'm sure somewhere on the openstreetmap wiki there was a page on
hardware recommendations, but I can't find it. Am I imagining it, or
missing it?

2: What do people think of the Garmin Geko 201, as specially offered by
Amazon? [long url warning]
(http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00007MMNS/qid=1131157507/sr=1-7/ref=sr_1_3_7/026-6418835-2274808)

And for info, if there are any Ubuntu users on this list, there's been
some discussion on ubuntu-dev about reviving the UbuntuGIS team:
http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2005-November/012799.html
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGIS
The big problem being "We lack a roadmap because we don't know what is
useful for a real GIS user."
http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2005-November/012803.html

John