[Openstreetmap] the dangers of assumptions

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Wed Nov 9 17:53:26 GMT 2005

Simon Hewison wrote:
> I've just fired up the applet to start naming some street segments in my
> locality, and found that someone has started drawing roads straight
> through the local golf course, across a stream, through hedgerows and
> trees. (following a GPS track recorded by someone on an overflying
> aircraft).
>
> Mind you, the wiki-style of openstreetmap means that it's easy enough to
> correct.

I've found quite a few random paths too - some with a GPS basis - some not

some of the tracks don't make sense at first because they look like
roads - and the dense GPS trail reinforces this view (incorrectly)

- once I get out of the A-Z mindset and start thinking pedestrians first
I realise that the highways of Hackney are often the backstreet
shortcuts that don't show up at all on street maps ...

One path appeared to be made up - but then I realised someone had picked
out "The Greenway" from the satellite image (it's barely marked on the
maps but is a useful foot/cycle path - over London's main sewage pipeline!)

But quite a few routes are most definitely wrong - e.g. crossing a canal
where there is no bridge.

I've started putting in Road names around me - I'm sure this will also
throw up a few disagreements - but it is already making the map easier
to use.

--

Sean