[Openstreetmap] Coders needed for similar project & UK FOIactrequest update.

Thu Nov 10 01:23:31 GMT 2005

On 10 Nov 2005, at 00:46, Clive Galway wrote:

> Read my argument. I argued specifically that since you can manually
> enter lat long OR click on the map using my program, how can they prove
> it ?

They can't prove it for one single point.

But for an aggregation of data, which I'd guess is what you're trying
to achieve, they can argue very convincingly that some users will have
clicked on the map to enter points - since you provide a UI for them to
do exactly that.

This makes your database a derived work, especially as you say (in your
earlier e-mail) that "there is no way to tell whether it came from a
gps unit or you clicked on the map - all that is stored in my database
is the latitude and longitude".

It's not just Steve and me who think this. Take a look at
http://www.kingston.ac.uk/gis/ppt/EDINA05.pdf , particularly page 16.

> Also, my program allows import of points and paths from a GPS unit. So,
> theoretically, if you GPSed a road or a river - surveyed it yourself,
> so
> to speak, then just overlayed it on their map, how do they own it ?

They don't.

No-one is claiming that Google ownz0rs your GPS tracks. No-one is
claiming that Google owns information just by virtue of you
superimposing it on their map.

Rather: I have just used your map to add a point for 'the end of Elms
Road' in Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire. I did this by clicking on the
point on Google Maps at the end of Elms Road.

This entered a latitude of -1.6153764724731 and a longitude of
52.800945232281 into your form. I then clicked 'Save'. This wrote it to
your database. (I was, of course, wrong in my previous e-mail when I
said there wasn't a way to type in lat/longs directly - sorry.)

Your database now contains material which is (c) TeleAtlas, Google's
map supplier: the material in question being that "the end of Elms Road
is at -1.6153764724731, 52.800945232281". Your database is now a
derived work from TeleAtlas. A few more of these and you won't be able
to legally redistribute it without their permission.

Google Maps' terms of use aren't relevant - they do not overrule
TeleAtlas's rights under UK statute law.

Richard