[Openstreetmap] keeping trac

Alex Willmer alex at moreati.org.uk
Thu Nov 10 19:47:06 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 14:46 +0000, SteveC wrote:
> Hi everyone, especially people helping with the wiki,
>
> I've installed trac
>
> http://projects.edgewall.com/trac/
>
> here:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/trac/
>
> With a bit of luck it can replace mediawiki, websvn and bugzilla in one.
> There are ways of magically converting mediawiki pages to it and it's
> nicer than the things we're using at the moment.
>
> What do you think? Anyone have experience or reservations?

I have no problem with replacing websvn & bugzilla, these are largely
unused by me. Integration of accounts is brilliant.

However I have grown attached to MediaWiki, in comparison Trac,
currently looks butt ugly. MediaWiki's user interface is much better in
my opinion. Some points off the top of my head:

* MediaWiki displays a 'Link_with_underscores' as 'Link with
underscores' which beats the pants of enforced LinkWithCaps.
* Some pages haven't been transferred correctly (wrong namespace):
http://www.openstreetmap.org/trac/wiki/People_involved vs
http://www.openstreetmap.org/wiki/index.php/People_involved
* Does trac support user homepages or talk pages eg:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/wiki/index.php/Talk:People_involved
http://www.openstreetmap.org/wiki/index.php/User:Moreati

Regards

Alex