[Openstreetmap] Coders needed for similar project & UK FOI act request update.

Clive Galway evilc at evilc.com
Thu Nov 10 22:25:32 GMT 2005

It is my intention to attempt to get the data for everyone, not just
myself. I will be seeking to distribute it. I found a thing on the net
called geotorrent (http://www.geotorrent.org/) basically bittorrent for
geo data - that would be perfect methinks.

No archive of correspondence online, but it may happen in the future,
who knows.
I find it kind of funny how a govt website says "Unfortunately UK
Geography is far from simple" (
http://www.statistics.gov.uk/geography/default.asp ) and yet the reason
is that the information they give out freely so everyone knows the
basics is woefully out of date (ie the county avon being listed in the
current dataset and it doesn't exist any more) or using unfamiliar
groupings (eg ONS's "Super Output Areas") so it is of no use to the
regular public.
There should be a freely available data set with all the political
boundaries, with major towns (say the major one per county ?) all
arranged in a hierarchy (ie showing that westminster is in greater
London which is in England which is in the UK) so that everyone can work
from one master copy - be it for any purpose from mapping (ie this would
allow you to decide what political region a point is in from it's
coordinates) to building a menu for region select for a website
(commercial or altruistic)

In fact, I would go one step further. I say there should be one central
database on the internet that should try to compile this information
world-wide. To be able to say what district, region, state and country
any point in the world is in would be useful to the world community. Of
course in such matters there will always be arguments (eg places in the
world where more than one state claims ownership of the same bit of
land) - in fact, in these situations, a database such as I propose could
actually serve some purpose as anybody could at least see what each side
said was the border. Knowing what each side of an argument actually is
is a good first step to settling it...
Oh well, I am a pessimistic optimist I suppose - I dream of a better
world, am cynical it will ever happen, but I try...