[Publicwhip-playing] Re: [geo-discuss] Re: [Openstreetmap] Coders needed for similar project & UK FOI act request update.

Daniel Haran chebuctonian at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 14:09:16 GMT 2005

Neat. My FOI request cost me CAD$25, as did the appeal- and they can
tack on costs to this for work they do if they feel like it. Of
course, as you mention, the cost is mainly determined by the type of
data and how they decide to redistribute it.

Your point about a web service is an excellent one, imo. There's a set
of postal data here that sells for CAD$3,000, with very large
royalties. It turns out that under their rules a web service is akin
to a "service bureau", and wouldn't have to pay up to $10/$15,000 for
redistribution. Of course if you wanted to map those boundarylines on
the web it would be trivial to brute force.

It seems to me that a practical extension of a geocoder would be to
take an address and boundary type as input, and return the lat/long as
well as the boundary name that contains it. That only covers one
use-case, but that's probably the most common one.