[Openstreetmap] road names

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Wed Nov 16 17:19:29 GMT 2005

On 11/16/05, Simon Hewison <simon at zymurgy.org> wrote:
> topro at gmx.de wrote:
> > Hi OSM,
> >
> > I have a question/idea for the new feature to name road segments.
> > Wouldn't it be even better if one could group 'line segments' to a 'road'
> > and then name the 'road' once instead of naming all line segments
> > belonging to one road with the same name?
> > What do others think about that?
>
> Yes, according to the REST documentation, and data primitives, we should
> have a way of naming a street, rather than just a line segment.
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/wiki/index.php/DataPrimitives
>
> I think the issue here is that the editing applet currently has no
> facility to do a multple selection and form a street from multiple line
> segments.

Yep - there are already tickets for this problem in the new Trac system...

http://www.openstreetmap.org/trac/ticket/30
http://www.openstreetmap.org/trac/ticket/32

Your OpenStreetMap log-in should work with Trac, and I think everyone
can add tickets or comment on them.

The applet currently does the Simplest Possible Thing That Works in
almost all cases, and interface refinements / data model improvements
like this are high on the agenda.  Baby steps!

Best,

Tom.