[Openstreetmap] Re: road names

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Thu Nov 17 00:00:45 GMT 2005

On 11/16/05, Alex Mauer <hawke at hawkesnest.net> wrote:
> Simon Hewison wrote:
>
> > Yes, according to the REST documentation, and data primitives, we should
> > have a way of naming a street, rather than just a line segment.
>
> But note that it is often useful to be able to name a segment as well
> ... e.g. with address ranges for a particular block.

Yes, and in the UK at least we have streets which change name half
way, and other such strangeness, so you definitely want to be able to
at least override street name data at the line segment level.

But are address ranges really the same sort of information as street
name?  Can you show us an example of a map which shows them?  I
suspect they'd be a separate tag, but I'd be interested to see how
other maps deal with displaying them.

Tom.