[Openstreetmap] Re: road names

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Thu Nov 17 17:15:31 GMT 2005

On 11/17/05, Alex Mauer <hawke at hawkesnest.net> wrote:

> I don't think the left/right distinction is terribly useful. It's nearly
> always sufficient, both for navigation and for ease of data entry, to
> know what block a particular number is on

We don't model blocks though, we model street segments.

> (though it may be interesting
> to provide co-ordinates for each individual house...).

Except that left/right seems essential if you want to draw it like
maporama does?

I'm not interested in "blocks", if I can think of a general case which
supports all the subtleties people are describing.

> Segments are
> also not the best unit for this, as roads may be divided into multiple
> segments (curved or long roads).

So you just specify numbers at the start of the first curve segment
and the end of the last one.  No big deal.

> I just wanted to get the idea out
> there that it is useful to distinguish units smaller than the entire road.

But OSM almost certainly won't have units smaller than the entire
road, except for segments, for the foreseeable future.

Tom.