[Openstreetmap] Strange OSM behaviour...

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Wed Nov 23 21:53:04 GMT 2005

* @ 23/11/05 09:20:11 PM nick at hogweed.org wrote:
> Have just encountered some slightly strange behaviour from OSM. Tried grabbing
> some nodes:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.2/map?bbox=-1,51,-0.9,51.03
>
> and didn't get anything back, not even a blank <osm version='0.2'></osm>.
> There should be some data in that region.
>
> Also when I try out Freemap-OSM (http://www.free-map.org.uk/osm/), which calls
> the "map" API above, sometimes it grabs the data and sometimes it doesn't.
>
> Is the server ok?

As far as I know.

I updated the map api to respond with gzip encoding if the request
advertises it as acceptable. commons-httpclient doesn't, annoyingly, so
the applet doesn't benefit.

Do you have any repeatable behaviour? Does libcurl accept gzip-encoding?
I know curl itself doesn't do it. At least by default anyway, I tried
it.

have fun,