[Openstreetmap] Re: [Openstreetmap-dev] OSM's Schema - movingit forwards.

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Nov 25 10:13:08 GMT 2005

Let's see how it pans out, however I see that any node (or point of
interest) will have a name and that these names will not be unique. Each
point will also have alternative names (for instance a location known by
different names to different groups), although these may have to be
additional points to some degree to stop it becoming top heavy for any
single node/point. This same approach would I envisage also apply to areas
so that an area of conurbation for instance can also be labelled with one or
more names.

At the moment, such keys (eg name) and any associated values are being
placed as "tags" within the node or line segment XML. I am not expecting
this to a sufficiently rich format for OSM's full needs and the delineated
method of multiple keys is inappropriate for the XML format (at least as I
understand it)... so we will either find a way to incorporate everything we
need (including user generated "tags" - ie keeping a wiki style) within and
as extensions of the GPX schema or we will develop something similar but OSM
specific. That’s what I am working on evaluating right now.

Andy

Andy Robinson
Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk