[Openstreetmap] Re: Workshop: Map the Isle of White

Jim Ley jim at jibbering.com
Sun Nov 27 15:54:43 GMT 2005

"Petter Reinholdtsen" <pere at hungry.com> wrote in message
news:2flhd9y3z8k.fsf at saruman.uio.no...

> I collected GPS points for Lødingen in an hour, and draw the map for
> it in a few hours more, so I suspect a week for Isle of White might be
> too much. :)

A week would allow you to collect more features though, footpaths,
bridleways, cycleways, and the condition of all of those.  Then add in
points of interest.

My main use for maps is cycle navigation, for that, what I want to know is
off-road tracks and what sort of bike I can take on them, then I want to
know what features there are, so I know I'm going right when I pass the
church etc.

Maps with features also look a lot neater, and are more what people who've
grown up with the OS maps expect.  It'd be great if we could capture all
these things.

It's a good idea Steve, I'd be up for it.

Jim.