Fw: [Openstreetmap] Re: Workshop: Map the Isle of White

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Mon Nov 28 09:56:35 GMT 2005

>Would the cyclists and walkers care to estimate some times?

About three miles an hour is average for walking, so if there are 500 miles
of path, that would
take (in theory) about 170 hours. Five people walking, 35 hours each or
about four (long!) days of
walking?

However in practice there are issues like a walk is inevitably going to
include some road sections
too. At a guess it's probably taken me about 60 hours (about 20 trips of on
average 3 hours each - had little opportunity this year to do day walks) to
map what I have done of the New Forest so far.

A strategic approach would be essential to footpath mapping to make sure
the routes with the highest gain were done (i.e. least road sections which
cars can cover). If we are to limit it I would recommend the south and west
of the island, where the best scenery is (and most popular with walkers)

Nick