[Openstreetmap] Ways/Street/Tracks what's it.

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Nov 30 09:39:14 GMT 2005

Erik wrote:

>So what should we call the tag to create streets/ways/tracks? ;-) Just
>to add another one  I would suggest "graph" since that is the data
>type we are describing, and it's abstract enough to not make wrongful
>assumptions about its use.

May be I should not have used the word <way> as it is not necessarily a
universal name, especially outside English. Perhaps what I should have used
is <line> since we are referring here to liner features on a map. However
road and line don't really gel together so I prefer way for the discussion.

It's interesting how different bodies decide upon their terminology. The
word "edge" is used by a lot to define a liner feature.

But let's not loose sight of the aims here. We need to get user feedback on
what components need to make up the keys/values and for that purpose it must
be better to stick to map type conventions for the discussion.

Andy