[Openstreetmap] Re: [Openstreetmap-dev] OSM's Schema - moving it forwards.

Ben Gimpert ben at somethingmodern.com
Wed Nov 30 11:08:27 GMT 2005

No more ranting, just addressing questions:

On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 11:49:07AM +0100, Tommy Persson wrote:
> > XML is almost a decade old, and most serious academics and hackers avoid
> > it like the plague. Now I admit this is very anecdotal, but it shouldn't
>
> Academics?  In what context?

I said it's anecdotal -- and admit it's kinda flamebait. Still I
consider the Ivory Tower to be the source of much IT hip-ness. Here's a
relatively umm, "bearded" wiki page on XML:

		http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?XmlSucks

Otherwise I'm just hunching based on conversations I've had with
software writers at UCL and Northwestern.

> > be ignored. Seriously: Why didn't the Apache group use proper XML for
> > their v2 configuration files? Because XML is a technical failure, and a
> > marketing success.
>
> Yes, things can be overused.  But before XML or SGML the situation was
> much worse with respect to different format and exhange of data.

Must... resist... rant.

		Ben