[Openstreetmap] Re: Borough boundary

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Mon Oct 3 15:37:08 BST 2005

Jim Ley wrote:

> "Lester Caine" <lester at lsces.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:43412D97.70008 at lsces.co.uk...
>
>>This is a very grey area, but the Royal Mail *DO* acknowledge that they
>>can have no control over databases of address information that USE
>>postcodes where that information HAS been entered independently!
>
> On IRC recently, Jibbler was contacted by the Royal Mail's Revenue
> protection officer
> http://chatlogs.planetrdf.com/swig/2005-09-29.html#T10-34-01.

> royal mail's revenue protection officer is telling me that you're not allowed to make a list of postcodes available to the public, even if that list is generated by individuals submitting their own postcodes

OK - a 'list' of postcodes would seem to be the magic words :(
So one has a problem distributing the gathered data, and I am probably
OK since the data is not made available publicly as a list, just
accessed privately, or provided as the results of a postcode search
giving a single answer.

I think it is about time that the Royal Mail actually spelled out where
*THEY* stand and then the legality of their stance can be established ;)

--
Lester Caine