[Openstreetmap] Tunnels

Erik Johansson erjohan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 13:55:00 BST 2005

2005/10/6, Andy Robinson <Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk>:
> Ok, so I am a tunnel engineer so I should have some ideas on how to map
> tunnels - but I don't. No gps down there of course. Let's see who can come
> up with the craziest ideas!

> 5. Monitor tunnel collapses (very infrequent)!

Depends on how much help they get.... (with the current political
climate it's not a good Idea to mention.)

6. Just pinpoint the ends, and then you have an excuse to put a funky
bézier through the city.

7. Use a car with a couple of accelerometers, odometer and a GPS
coupled to a computer.  Strange stuff can happen when
navigationsystems in cars are exposed to tunnels, they can't really
decide on which street you are on, even if they have all that.

8. bulding plans are quite easy to get here in Sweden, if it's a new
tunnel. (perhaps not if they think you will do a "no. 5")

(Erik) This was fun.