[Openstreetmap] London locations

Frank Mohr f_mohr at yahoo.de
Tue Oct 11 08:15:12 BST 2005

Lars Aronsson wrote:
> Frank Mohr wrote:
>

>>but i don't think disobedience is a solution
>>(except if you have enouth money to pay lawyers for all
>>court instances to defend your position)
>

> Having started to read Clausewitz, I would say the opposite: You
> can win only by having less money, so that the rights holders will
> not find it worthwhile to go after you.
>
> As an example, compare Napster to Kazaa.  Napster provided a
> central repository of (largely pirated) music, so the RIAA had a
> single enemy to fight against.  No matter how much money Napster
> would have to defend their case, the RIAA would have even more
> money.  In the case of Kazaa, the company only provided the
> software and the music was copied directly peer-to-peer, so the
> RIAA had thousands of small enemies, and it became very hard to
> prosecute any single one of them.  The founder of Kazaa, Niklas
> Zennström, left the company early and went on to start Skype.

compare it to the "Explorer" case here in germany

a company registered the name Explorer for software in 1995
first they sued MS with the risk to stop the delivery of win95
(there had been a "amicable arrangement" with a
~ 45.000 Euro payment)

in 1999 a lawyer started to send out "Abmahnungen"
(letter requesting payment) to mirrors of SelfHTML
(SelfHTML is a free popular HTML tutorial in german that contains
a link to a program called "FTP Explorer")
in Germany the defendant has to pay the layers costs for the
"Abmahnung" or risks to start a court case
in most cases the damage was set high, so the cost for the "Abmahnung"
was about 1000 euro.

the only way to stop that whole thing was to go through all instances
(with money from donation) and later get the registration deleted

frank