[Openstreetmap] So, er, what now?

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Thu Oct 20 14:50:24 BST 2005

On 10/20/05, SteveC <steve at asklater.com> wrote:

> * @ 19/10/05 07:52:00 PM noodles at earth.li wrote:
>
> > I've been trying to convince various people I know to get involved with
> > OSM (including one who works with GPS tracking of trucks), but I'm not
> > quite sure what I can show them as benefits other than the maps on the
> > website?

 Get in touch with me and/or Steve off list if you want to meet up and talk
about this more. It sounds worth pursuing and it would be ideal to have a
few more large contributors alongside Petter's taxi data and our courier
contacts. We have personally signed NDAs before which allow us to talk with
people about their data without them worrying about us running off with it
(and showing their competitors their weak points, for example). The same
might help here?

Show them a copy of the poster we have for sale, and say they could get
> a ton of publicity if they give us the data?

 This is the big one I think - GPS-derived maps are a different breed, and
there's a bunch of analysis we can do as well as "just" tracing maps. Things
like the map print we did serve to illustrate how rich the aggregate data
can be and get people to be more enthusiastic about contributing.
 Tom.