[Openstreetmap] How to be more efficient inserting tracks?

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Sat Oct 29 20:47:48 BST 2005

On 10/29/05, Johnny Doe <uucp1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Tom,
>
> i didn't intend to flame the developers :)

That's OK, I didn't think you did.

I'm actually really impressed by their work! Still, after
> uploading > 3000km of tracks and spending three nights to
> trace the segments in the edit applet, i wanted to share
> my opinion on what can be improved.

Thanks!

Please look at

> http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit/edit-map.html?lat=60.7&lon=27.2&scale=0.002
> and
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit/edit-map.html?lat=60.7&lon=27.9&scale=0.002
>
> On the first map, two tracks in the south-east / east corner are missing.
> the second map also doesn't show all the tracks i have
> uploaded in one batch. I can also upload the screenshots, if it will be
> necessary.

Yeah, that's almost certainly because of the limit on the number of points
(I haven't checked, but if someone gets the bounding box from those pages
and runs them through the api, it should be possible to get a track point
count for those areas).

If you zoom in, the tracks are shown correctly.

Incidentally, it's our intention to only allow the editor to be used when
you're zoomed in much more than you have in those links - the current
maximum editor scale would be something like 0.00004 - 50 times closer than
you are there! We still have to test this though, and if people would rather
edit at a distance for long roads we'll need to be able to accomodate it,
and we'll need navigation within the applet itself to increase stability in
browsers that don't like applets (all of them, basically!).

Best,

Tom.