[Openstreetmap] New osm-editor with empty-track bug removed and auto-centring

nick at hogweed.org nick at hogweed.org
Sun Oct 30 09:46:50 GMT 2005

Hello Steve,

> Hi Nick
>
> Forgive my lack of knowledge but by 'OSM' GPX is that roughly what the
> API and REST wiki page were advertising? eg you wrote stuff to that
> spec? If so, I'm sorry, it might have looked like you'd wasted your time
> when I came out with 0.2. Or rather, I'd wasted your time but I thought
> I'd made public that I was implementing the XML-Schema page.

Sorry about the confusion. "OSM GPX" is *not* the new 0.2 "osm" format XML.
Rather, it is GPX with every segment inside its own <trk> tag i.e.

<trk>
<trkseg>
</trkseg>
</trk>
<trk>
<trkseg>

Previously osmeditor wrote out a version of GPX with only one trk tag in the
whole file i.e.

<trk>
<trkseg>
</trkseg>
<trkseg>
</trkseg>
<trkseg>

etc.
I have now removed support for the second (original) version.

> It's so much easier to write a SAX parser for.

Know what you mean, it looks that way.

> The tags nee keyval system is getting there.

OK that's good :-) Have looked at the source code in subversion (nodes and
segments) and it seems to make sense. When you're done are you intending to
add an upload facility for "osm" format?

BTW I tried using the "segment" feature of the 0.2 API last night (using a UID
of a segment present in the database). i.e.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.2/segment/XXX

It gave me an internal server error; guess that bit's not done yet?

Nick